..….BY BILLY SUTER……
COSTUMES and props from Back to the Future, Pretty Woman, Fight Club, Alien, Batman, Evita, Top Gun, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator and other iconic films fetched large sums of money this week at what was declared as the largest annual live auction of film and TV memorabilia in the UK.
Prop Store – one of the world’s leading film and TV memorabilia companies – announced the items on offer fetched more than R88.5 million (£4.3million).
Prop Store’s unique Entertainment Memorabilia Live Auction was held on December 1 and 2 at the company’s UK headquarters in Hertfordshire.
Hundreds of bidders from around the world took part in the auction, which achieved outstanding results over 20 hours of exciting and intensive bidding. More than 900 rare and iconic lots were sold.
Notable sales included the following (sale prices are inclusive of buyer’s premium):
- Obi-Wan Kenobi’s (Ewan McGregor) Hero Lightsaber from STAR WARS: REVENGE OF THE SITH (2005) sold for £150 000.
- H R Giger-designed Special Effects Mechanical Alien Head from ALIEN (1979) sold for £62 500.
- Joker’s (Jack Nicholson) purple Fedora from BATMAN (1989) sold for £37 500.
- James Bond’s (Daniel Craig) MI6 Training Suit from SKYFALL (2012) sold for £18 750.
- Pete “Maverick” Mitchell’s (Tom Cruise) Bomber Jacket from TOP GUN (1986) sold for £50 000.
- Jareth’s (David Bowie) Crystal Ball, Autographed Photos, Tickets and Card from LABYRINTH (1986) sold for £20 000.
- Buck Russell’s (John Candy) Bowling Ball from UNCLE BUCK (1989) sold for £28 125.
- Light-Up Remote-control R2-S8 Droid from STAR WARS: SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) sold for £150 000.
- Neo’s (Keanu Reeves) Complete Costume from THE MATRIX RELOADED (2003) sold for £62 500.
- Vivian Ward’s (Julia Roberts) Boots from PRETTY WOMAN (1990) sold for £31 250.
- Tyler Durden’s (Brad Pitt) Photo-Matched Red Leather Jacket from FIGHT CLUB (1999) sold for £40 625.
- Captain Jack Sparrow’s (Johnny Depp) Pirate Hat from PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES (2011) sold for £20 000.
- Captain Miller’s (Tom Hanks) Cast-autographed Hero Helmet from SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (1998) sold for £20 000.
- Marty McFly’s (Michael J. Fox) 2015 Jacket from BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II (1989) sold for £23 750.
- Maximus’ (Russell Crowe) Stunt Arena Shield from GLADIATOR (2000) sold for £8 750.
- David Dunn’s (Bruce Willis) FSU Security Costume from UNBREAKABLE (2000) sold for £11 875.
- Joker’s (Heath Ledger) Neck Tie from THE DARK KNIGHT (2008) sold for £16 250
- Katniss Everdeen’s (Jennifer Lawrence) Combat Costume and Disguise Cloak from THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKING JAY – PART 2 (2015) sold for £6 250.
- Peter Banning’s (Robin Williams) Pan Costume from HOOK (1991) sold for £15 000.
- Hero Dagger of Megiddo from THE OMEN (1976) sold for £68 750.
- Eva Perón’s (Madonna) Hat from EVITA (1996) sold for £2 500.
- Ramirez’s (Sean Connery) Katana from HIGHLANDER (1986) sold for £50 000.
Some of the least expensive lots in the auction included a set of Christopher Lee on-set photographs from the James Bond classic, The Man With the Golden Gun (1974), which sold for £500, and a Combined Continuity Script from Rocky (1976) which sold for £563.
Stephen Lane, Prop Store CEO commented on the auction: “After what has been an uncertain and unpredictable year, we are absolutely thrilled with the results of our seventh annual live auction. It is clear that the love for the classic films has not diminished and we saw some spectacular results across both days. We are looking forward to seeing what our next event in Los Angeles next Spring will bring.